Tuesday 17 May 2011

Review: Quo Baked Beauty Box

Last week I was in Shopper's Drug Mart looking at some of the Quo products.  They were having a 20x the Optimum points promotion so I figured it was enough incentive for me to finally check out this brand that I have generally been hearing positive review of.  One product that really caught my eye was the Quo Baked Beauty Box.  This palette includes 2 blushes, 1 highlighter, 1 highlighter duo, 6 eyeshadow trio and three applicators.  The regular price of this palette is $34.99 but when I got it to the register it rang up as only $29.99.  Not only did I get my points bonus but I also got a nice surprise discount :)




Keep reading for pictures and swatches!


The outer packaging for this palette is stiff cardboard with a glossy finish.  The black divider inside the palette is a hard foam material. There are also magnetic closures that help to keep the lid closed when you want it to be.  On the inside of the lid is a nice sized mirror.  The three applicators that are included with the palette are two double-ended sponge-tip eyeshadow applicators and one brush to apply the blushes and highlighters.  

The following are swatches of all of the products both wet and dry.  The dry swatches were done over NYX's jumbo pencil in milk while the wet swatches were done over my bare arm. 











As you can see, there is quite a difference in quality between wet and dry application.  There are also some colours that are just misses whether you apply them wet or dry.  Trios 5 and 6 are big misses for me.  There is hardly any difference in their lightest colours (5 is slightly more lavender while 6 is slightly more pink) and it is pretty much pointless to even try to use 5 dry.  On the other hand, I loved trio 1.  I am a suckers for greens and purples and the greens in this trio were great.  The lightest colour really comes to life when you apply it wet, taking on a really nice metallic sheen.

I quite liked the blushes and highlighters. As a very pale girl the highlighter duo actually works better as a blush on me.  The only drawback is that the product is too small to really pick up each colour individually so I will have to mix them.  Also, while E may look like a glitter bomb I can see it working well as a body highlighter.  Using it with a larger powder brush on your shoulders or legs would be better than using it on the face since it is quite chunky.

As for lasting power I found that the eyeshadows worked well enough over a primer.  I didn't find that they creased or wore away, but I would attribute that more to my primer than to the eyeshadows themselves.  As for the blushes and highlighters I found that they did wear away.  I did not get a chance to figure out actual timing, but I did notice they were gone by the end of they day.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase.  With it working out to be about $3 per product I don't have any major complaints. I got what I paid for and I am okay with that.  While this purchase has not really made me a Quo fan it hasn't turned me off of the brand either.  I think that I will be checking out more Quo products in the future just to see if their regular line is better quality than this palette (Quo wouldn't be the first brand to skimp on a value palette).  In the end, I think I would give this palette a B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment